Contact UsTop

Our Next Home Game

Saturday 8th May 15:00

Sherborne Town FC vs

Welton Rovers

Toolstation League 1

Match Report Saturday 10th October

Sherborne Town FC Reserves 2 - 0 Dorchester Sports

Dorset Senior Trophy

Good evening Everyone,

I hope you are all safe and well.

Firstly I would like thank the many of you that came along to our home game on Saturday that saw us host Dorchester Sports in the Dorset Senior Trophy.

We talked in the group about how we felt we had been starting slow in previous games and that we weren’t compact enough so we were conscious of this and we wanted to start this game quicker and play with a high intensity whilst staying disciplined with our shape on and off of the ball.

We started really well and got straight at Dorchester Sports on Saturday and this paid dividends this week as 8 minutes after the kick off we took the lead with a great strike from Jake Wolfe. A fantastic run with the ball by Peter Ireland down the right hand side of the Dorchester Sports defence and delivering a great cut back ball to find Jake Wolfe on the edge of the box where Jake’s strike spectacularly found the top left hand corner of the Dorchester Sports goal putting us 1-0 up.

The goal gave us a big boost of confidence and as the half went on we continued to control the game and dominate the ball whilst still threatening the Dorchester Sports goal and creating chances to extended the lead. Dorchester Sports struggled to get a foot hold in the game which was credit to the work rate of our lads and the aggression that we played with limiting Dorchester Sports to having only two opportunities from 2 long balls but the half finished 1-0.

At half time we were forced into making an early substitution with the hard working Steve Friend having to be withdrawn with an ankle injury that he had picked up during the first half which saw a welcomed return for Marc Caines after a short injury spell himself.

The second half got underway and we again looked bright from the kick off and took the game to Dorchester Sports by pressing high and winning the ball back in good areas allowing us to get at their back four immediately. We continued to hassle Dorchester Sports when they had possession of the ball which was limited as we had the majority of the early part of the second under control by retaining the ball well. A pleasing thing to see in the second half was that although the game was 1-0 at the time the lads were playing with real confidence and composure by putting patterns of 1 tough and tough football together and in spells slicing Dorchester Sports open.

After putting in a strong shift we made a change on the 58th minute and gave our first goal scorer Jake Wolfe a well-earned rest and we introduced the lively Ashley Guppy. Ashley had an immediate impact and was giving the Dorchester Sports left back a torrid time by being direct and attacking him with every chance. We continued to play like with these one and two touch patterns of play and in the 66th minute Luke Jackson was released down the right hand side and get to the right hand side of the Dorchester Sports box and to look up and see Elliott Mann making a surging run into the box and Luke fed a lovely ball across the 6 yard box which saw Elliott get across the Dorchester Sports defender and to latch on to Luke’s cross to steer the ball in to the roof of the Dorchester Sports goal and put us 2-0 up. You could see instantly that any belief that Dorchester Sports had of getting back into the game had completely gone with us getting our second goal and we again restated the game well by keeping our shape, staying disciplined and working hard off of the ball to regain possession and keep the ball well. Dorchester Sports had resulted to the long ball again which we had dealt well with for the majority of the game with our back for looking very strong and organised but with 10 minutes to go Dorchester Sports found themselves with a rare chance with the ball being fired across our six yard box only for the Dorchester Sports striker to blaze the ball high over the cross bar.

Like all of the lads on Saturday Luke Jackson had put in a great shift and on the 85th minute we made our final change which saw young Jake Handley get his competitive debut for the club and take Luke’s place.

The game finished with us being the deservedly 2-0 winners and progressing into the next round of the Dorset Senior Trophy where we will host Gillingham Town at home with the date of this fixture yet to be confirmed.

All of our lads were absolutely superb on Saturday and showed a real togetherness on the pitch to work extremely hard for each other and not only offensively were we very good but defensively we were fantastic and Jake Hobbs picked up the Man Of The Match vote with a very good consistent and strong performance.

This coming Saturday sees us focusing back on the League and looking to maintain our momentum as we travel down to Holt looking for another win against what will be another very good and strong side.

Stay safe and well and thank you for the continued support.